Manufacturing Dietary Supplements For Weight Loss
Unhealthy weight continues to be the nation's most costly health concern. Despite legislators debating bills to help address this problem and state laws that propose restrictions on selling sodas and candy in public schools and even imposing taxes on high-fat foods, two-thirds of the American population is overweight. 1 The good news though is that more Americans are now trying to address the issue. Increasing interest in calorie-control, exercise, a healthy diet and dietary supplements for weight loss, are giving rise to a growing percentage of weight-conscious Americans.
According to a Calorie Control Council (CCC) survey conducted in November 2010, 80 percent of those aged 18 or above say they are "weight-conscious" with 54 percent of the respondents saying they want to reduce their weight, and 28 percent trying to control or maintain their weight. According to the survey 50 percent of adults feel they need to lose at least 10 pounds, up 40 percent from 2004. 2
Reducing intake of high-sugar foods was the most popular method used for weight loss/management and was practiced by 86 percent of respondents. Other methods include eating smaller portion sizes (85 percent), eating low-calorie and sugar-free foods and beverages (78 percent). Over 60 percent of Americans say they perform moderate exercise at least 3 times a week. But despite these efforts, many dieters confess to failing repeatedly in their attempts to lose weight. According to the CCC survey, the obstacles to losing weight cited by most respondents include:
- not enough exercise - 69 percent
- slow metabolism - 62 percent
- too much snacking - 52 percent
According to the latest report from Marketdata Enterprise, Inc., a market research firm based in Tampa, Florida, the typical American dieter is making 4 weight loss attempts per year. This is the highest number in 15 years. But, frustrations at attempted weight loss were compounded by a slumping economy and rising gas prices forcing dieters in 2009-2010 to spend their weight loss dollars very carefully. With tighter weight loss budgets, frugal dieters were turning to free and low-cost-do-it-yourself diet plans which included diet websites, self-administered dietary supplements for weight loss, meal replacements and diet books. Because of the recession, the percentage of dieters in 2010 who preferred inexpensive, low-cost, home-based and self-directed diet programs rose to 80, among the highest recorded. 3
Marketdata estimates the total U.S. weight loss market was worth $60.9 billion in 2010. It predicts the sales of meal replacements and other diet products to increase by 3.3 percent in annual gains by 2014, and the combined market to be worth $3.04 billion. 4
Ingredients To Keep In Mind When Manufacturing a Weight Loss Supplement
- Weight loss products include thermogenic ingredients such as caffeine, capsaicin and a variety of teas (green, white and oolong). Thermogenic ingredients may help increase energy expenditure and fat oxidation, thereby accelerating weight loss. 5-6
- Research studies support the use of herbal weight loss supplements containing certain herbs that complement and support diet and exercise regiments. 7 According to the latest issue of HerbalGram, the quarterly journal of the American Botanical Council, sales of herbal dietary supplements climbed 3.3 percent in 2010 and was worth $5.2 billion. 8
- Weight loss supplements may also include ingredients that inhibit the breakdown of fats or carbohydrates. For instance, certain herbs may help inhibit the production of alpha-amylase, enzymes that break down carbohydrates. These weight loss supplements have the potential to slow the absorption of carbohydrates and help reduce spikes in blood sugar associated with carbohydrates. In a separate study, scientists observed the effect of capsules containing 600 mg of apple polyphenols (AP) in vivo. They noted that the antioxidants, oligomeric procyanidins, present in AP, were able to prevent triglyceride absorption to some extent, by inhibiting pancreatic lipase activity. 9-10
- Appetite suppressants, like fiber, are low in calories and digest slowly. All types of fiber may be used for manufacturing weight loss products. They "bulk" up in the digestive tract thus creating feelings of satiety and "fullness". 11
Dietary supplements for weight loss can be manufactured in the form of powders, capsules, and tablets.
Growing Consumer Demand For Weight Loss Supplements
Over the years, much controversy over weight management ingredients including a few scandals and several scams has created skepticism among consumers. With FDA-GMPs being implemented and tighter enforcement of regulations, scam companies are now either forced to toe the line or close down. This has renewed consumer trust in the dietary supplement industry especially as people become savvy about weight loss ingredients and the research behind each. According to MarketsandMarkets, the global weight loss and diet management products and services market was expected to be worth $390.3 billion in 2010 and is estimated to reach $671.8 billion by 2015; growing at a CAGR of 11.5% from 2010-2015. 12
Retailers can provide customers with weight management products that give them more value for their dollar by producing science-based dietary supplements for weight loss. While none of these are magic bullets, they may assist with weight loss through modification of stress, support healthy gastric and elimination function and promote normal metabolism. Such herbs and herbal combinations may be used as effective tools for weight management in combination with personal weight loss programs. 13
NutraScience Labs' Production Specialists can help you custom-formulate your own weight loss product or improve your existing formula. With extensive manufacturing high-quality nutritional supplements, you'll find our custom manufacturing services are not only convenient, but can help you establish your brand image for top quality supplements that deliver targeted results to your customers.
For more information, call (855) 492-7388 now or submit your request to receive a free quote from us in 48 hours.