Give Your Customers the Gift of a Healthy Immune System This Holiday Season
- The immune response isn’t as effective during the colder months (compared to warmer months.) 1
- Chronic stress (prevalent during the holidays) can cause almost all measures of immune system function to drop across the board. 2
- A poor diet (not unusual during the holidays) can compromise immune response. 3
Of course the last thing you want is for your immune system to be weakened during the holidays, yet this is all too often the case and may result in the upper respiratory tract function at a less than optimal level. 4 However, there is something that can be done to help. It’s called beta 1,3/1,6 glucan.
A unique substance called beta glucan is present in a special strain of yeast called Wellmune WGP® — which in turn has been well researched. In fact, once swallowed, immune cells in the gastrointestinal tract take up the beta glucans and transport it to immune organs throughout the body. While in the immune organs, the beta glucans are broken down into smaller fragments, and are then slowly released over a number of days. Fragments of the beta glucans bind to the most abundant immune cells in the body priming and strengthening their key immune functions. It is important to note that beta glucans boost immune function without overstimulating the immune system. Also, multiple human clinical studies have shown that this Wellmune WGP® form of beta glucans is effective in promoting the health of upper respiratory tract.
In a random, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial 5, 250 mg/day of this beta 1,3/1,6 glucan or placebo was given to 100 healthy individuals during the season when upper respiratory health might be compromised. The results were that beta 1,3/1,6 glucan helped maintain upper respiratory function more effectively compared to the placebo group, and the ability to “breathe easily” was significantly improved in the beta 1,3/1,6 glucan group as well. Likewise, additional studies 6-7 have shown that 250 mg/day of Wellmune WGP® reduced upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) symptoms and improved mood state in stressed subjects, compared to placebo.
Since strenuous exercise is known to suppress immunity for up to 24 hours, another study 8 with 182 men and women examined if 250 mg/day of Wellmune WGP® could positively affect the immune system of individuals undergoing intense exercise stress, and help maintain upper respiratory health. The results showed that Wellmune WGP® did help maintain upper respiratory health compared to placebo, and was also associated with a 32% increase in specific immune cells. Other research 9-10 has shown similar benefits with this beta 1,3/1,6 glucan in association with intense exercise.
Interested in creating your own line of high-quality immune support supplements? Speak to one of our Production Specialists right now! Call (844) 839-5073 or send us your request to receive a free nutraceutical manufacturing quote in 48 hours.
1. Khoo AL, Chai LY, Koenen HJ, Kullberg BJ, Joosten I, van der Ven AJ, Netea MG. 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 modulates cytokine production induced by Candida albicans: impact of seasonal variation of immune responses. J Infect Dis. 2011;203(1):122-30.
2. Segerstrom SC, Miller GE. Psychological stress and the human immune system: a meta-analytic study of 30 years of inquiry. Psychol Bull 2004;130(4):601-30.
3. Segerstrom SC, Miller GE. Psychological stress and the human immune system: a meta-analytic study of 30 years of inquiry. Psychol Bull 2004;130(4):601-30.
5. Fuller R, Butt H, Noakes PS, Kenyon J, Yam TS, Calder PC. Influence of yeast-derived 1,3/1,6 glucopolysaccharide on circulating cytokines and chemokines with respect to upper respiratory tract infections. Nutrition. 2012 Jun;28(6):665-9.
6. Talbott SM, Talbott JA. Baker’s yeast beta-glucan supplement reduces upper respiratory symptoms and improves mood state in stressed women. J Am Coll Nutr. 2012 Aug;31(4):295-300.
7. Talbott S, Talbott J. Beta 1,3/1,6 Glucan Decreases Upper Respiratory Tract Infection Symptoms and Improves Psychological Well-Being in Moderate to Highly-Stressed Subjects. Agro Food Industry Hi-Tech. 2010;21:21-24.
8. McFarlin BK, Carpenter KC, Davidson T, McFarlin MA. Baker’s Yeast Beta Glucan Supplementation Increases Salivary IgA and Decreases Cold/Flu Symptomatic Days After Intense Exercise. Journal of Dietary Supplements. 2013; EarlyOnline:1–13.
9. Talbott S, Talbott J. Effect of BETA 1, 3/1, 6 GLUCAN on upper respiratory tract infection symptoms and mood state in marathon athletes. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine. 2009;8: 509-515.
10. Carpenter KC, Breslin WL, Davidson T, Adams A, McFarlin BK. Baker’s yeast β-glucan supplementation increases monocytes and cytokines post-exercise: implications for infection risk? Br J Nutr. 2012 May 10:1-9. [Epub ahead of print]