Herbal Dietary Supplement Trends
Science and the herbal dietary supplement industry may have more in common that you thought. While it may sound like a peculiar alliance, herbal dietary supplements are not homemade concoctions based on old wives’ tales or remedies. The herbal dietary supplement industry is founded on sound scientific research. The industry exists only because scientific support lends it credence. Many traditional herbs have undergone research and clinical trials to prove their worth. As new nutrients are being carefully investigated, the potential for the growth of this industry is even greater.
Dietary supplement manufacturers therefore are always keeping abreast of the latest nutritional research and how potential breakthroughs could be manufactured as a dietary supplement. Scientific formulations using effective and safe ingredients to address current health concerns is the hallmark of the dietary supplement industry.
Herbal Dietary Supplements – New Potential
What’s the latest in the world of herbal dietary supplements? Here are a few nuggets to keep you looking forward to what lies ahead for this industry:
- In a Harvard research study based on dietary, lifestyle and metabolic risk, a deficiency in omega 3 fatty acids was determined to negatively affect health. Although more conclusive tests are needed, omega 3 fatty acids have once again been substantially shown to benefit health and for the first time it was noted that a deficiency could negatively affect health.
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) may not convert to an adequate level of EPA or DHA. Most people believe that taking ALA, instead of marine-based fish oil, is adequate to meet their body’s need for DHA. But research shows the contrary. According to a summary of omega 3 research by the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids (ISSFAL), the conversion is very low, and possibly not enough to confer physiological benefits of DHA to the body. Plant-sourced EPA and DHA are still currently under development, especially to cater to vegetarians who prefer plant-based sources. But at present, fish oil dietary supplements are still the most recommended and convenient way to get a daily dose of omega 3s.
- Studies on pure cocoa reveal that cocoa has potential benefits for cardiovascular health, skin health, and brain health. Studies conducted at Nottingham, UK show that a flavanol-rich cocoa drink may increase blood flow to the brain for 2 to 3 hours. This could help support brain health. Scientists are studying this further. Cocoa is also being studied for its promising effect on cardiovascular health.
- Grape seed extract may help to support healthy weight. Studies conducted by the University of Montpellier on hamsters found that grape seed extract stimulated the production of a hormone that regulates a number of metabolic processes. Levels of this hormone in the human body are inversely proportionate to fat levels. Lowered glycemia and insulin resistance along with reduced oxidative stress were also some of the prospective benefits to study further.
- Studies on CoQ10 are finding that this vitamin-like enzyme may support liver health.
- A large population study in Japan shows that drinking 5 cups of Green tea a day may reduce psychological stress by up to 20 percent. The same researches say that drinking many cups of green tea a day may help to support healthy mood in the elderly.
Dietary Supplement Manufacturers: Blending Herbs, Nutrients and Science!
Meeting the health concerns of today through scientifically supported supplements is the mandate for dietary supplement brand owners and their manufacturers today. Carefully formulated herbal dietary supplements are safe for consumption and impart health benefits. The importance of nutrition in our health has never been so greatly emphasized as it is today. Combine that with more education and public awareness and more people are turning to herbal dietary supplements as their first choice for improved health. The use of dietary supplements is also a growing trend. Dietary supplement manufacturers have an immense role to play in the health of America and even beyond as global demand for herbal dietary supplements expands.
For more information about our herbal dietary supplement manufacturing services, call (855) 492-7388 to speak to one of our Production Specialists or submit your free herbal dietary supplement quote request. The typical turnaround time on a quote submitted over the phone or through our website is 48 hours.