How to Develop Weight Management Supplements?
Data from the National Institutes of Health – The Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS) reveals that over two-thirds of American adults are overweight or obese.[i] Adopting lifestyle changes such as reducing caloric intake, following a healthy dietary pattern, and engaging in physical activity are the foundation to long-term weight management—and dietary supplements can help.
With the market demand for weight management products increasing, brand owners have shown keen interest in developing supplements that support healthy weight management. Ingredients like Green Tea Polyphenols, Forskolin, CLA, DHEA, etc., are gaining consumer attention too. If you’re a brand owner planning to tap into the growing weight management supplement market, this blog is for you. It covers:
- why weight management supplements are in demand
- the types of weight management supplement
- trending weight management ingredients
- dos and don’ts of packaging and labeling
Why Are Weight Management Supplements in Demand?
Global weight management research has revealed several surprising facts to help plan better weight management strategies.
- Research suggests that around 15% of US adults utilize weight management dietary supplements at least at some point in their lives.
- According to a study in the journal Current Developments in Nutrition, certain gut bacteria may positively influence weight management efforts, so supplementation with probiotics holds great interest.[ii] [iii]
- Another study mentions an association between sleep duration and Body Mass Index (BMI). This underscores the value of sleep support supplements.[iv]
- The growing prevalence of obesity and changing lifestyles are driving the growth of the weight management supplement market. As a result, the global weight management supplement market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 20% between 2020 and 2027.[v]
- A US study shows that 80% of consumers are more likely to choose personalized weight management products and experiences.[vi] [vii] Consumers today prefer sustainable, vital, and science-first solutions that can help them reach their health and lifestyle goals.
Types of Weight Management Supplements
The types of weight management supplements gaining consumer interest in the market include:
- Protein-based Supplements – Studies have shown a direct relation between protein supplements and weight management. These supplements have been found to help reduce appetite, and in turn, reduce cravings. Further, they may help boost metabolism, increase fat burning, increase muscle mass and strength. Additionally, protein supplements have been found to help with optimal muscle gain to benefit weightlifters and athletes.[viii] [ix] [x] [xi] [xii] [xiii] [xiv]
- Fiber-based Supplements – Numerous studies reveal the benefits of fiber-based supplements for weight management. Further, it is believed that prebiotic fiber may be beneficial for gut bacteria – helping manage healthy body weight.[xv] [xvi] [xvii]
- Omega-3 Supplements – Omega-3 fatty acid supplements may aid weight management in multiple ways. These supplements may help reduce appetite, increase metabolism, boost the effects of exercise, and promote fat loss.[xviii] [xix] [xx] [xxi]
The Trending Weight Management Supplement Ingredients
It is always recommended to choose weight management supplement ingredients based on your target audience’s preference. For example, if your target market consists of athletes and weightlifters, it is recommended to focus more on ingredients like whey and milk-based protein.
On the other hand, your strategy will change to plant-based protein sources for the vegan athlete population. You may also rely on botanicals for weight management products since many of them can positively impact biochemical metabolism to promote weight loss efforts.
Here’s a look at some of the most sought-after supplement ingredients that can help with managing weight when consumed with a healthy lifestyle and diet –
- Glucomannan – By absorbing many times its weight of water, it promotes a feeling of satiety, making it an effective weight management ingredient.[xxiii]
- Forskolin – May assist weight management by promoting lipolysis (the breakdown of fat in the fat cells).[xxiv]
- Green Tea Polyphenols – Found to be a highly bioavailable and strong antioxidant. It may help reduce carbohydrate absorption and support fat oxidation.[xxv]
- CLA (Conjugated Linolic Acid) – This fatty acid helps reduce body fat deposits by promoting apoptosis (programmed cell death) in fat cells.[xxvi]
- DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone) – As DHEA levels in the body decrease with age, it’s often recommended to consume it as a supplement. A certain form of DHEA – 7-Keto-DHEA is known to help increase the metabolism rate in overweight individuals.[xxvii] [xxviii]
- Hydroxy-methyl Butyrate – Helps support muscle growth as part of strength training programs—and muscles serve as a primary site for fat-burning.[xxix]
- Chromium Picolinate – Has been found to have metabolism-boosting properties that may help with weight management.[xxx] [xxxi]
- Capsaicin – Has been found to support metabolism and fat burn while also helping curb appetite.[xxxii] [xxxiii]
- L-Carnitine – Enables the movement of more fatty acids into your cell, which in turn helps burn fat.[xxxiv]
- NeOpuntia – Regular use of NeOpuntia may help reduce calorie intake and support healthy weight management.[xxxv]
- Probiotics – Certain probiotics promote weight management via various mechanisms, including reducing fat accumulation, influencing your appetite, and boosting metabolism which may help burn fat and calories.[xxxvi]
- Garcinia Cambogia – May help inhibit a fat-producing enzyme and helps reduce appetite.[xxxvii]
- Meratrim – This proprietary blend of plant extracts has been shown in two independent clinical studies to significantly reduce body weight, BMI, waist and hip circumferences, and waist-hip ratio after eight weeks.
Dos & Don’ts of Weight Management Supplement Packaging
Your supplement bottle packaging can be one of the crucial factors in your product's success, as it’s the first thing that your potential consumers will notice.[xxxviii]
Some key points to consider when it comes to product packaging are:
- FDA compliant packaging is a must for your supplements, and any non-compliance can result in costly reprinting of product packages and labels. The FDA stringently regulates the contents and their placement on the product labels. You also need to be familiar with the acceptable claims and statements.
- Select the best packaging option. For packaging capsules and tablets, you can use glass or plastic bottles with desiccants. On the other hand, it is often recommended to use stick packs for supplement powders as they offer convenience.
- Research shows that potential consumers judge a product in the first 90 seconds, and 90% of it is based on the color. So, invest in an attractive color scheme to make your weight management supplement product more appealing.
- Retailers typically shy away from prominently displaying products with unusually shaped packaging because they tend to occupy too much shelf space.
- Also, avoid packaging your weight management supplements in custom bottles to avoid unnecessary storage and ordering costs.
Here’s an interesting read that can help you gain detailed packaging insights.
Contact Us to Develop Your Weight Management Supplements
The Global Weight Management Supplement Industry is expected to reach USD 33.6 billion by 2027.[xxxix]
NutraScience Labs can help you tap into this market’s potential by creating weight management dietary supplements with an innovative and unique formulation specific to your consumers’ needs.
We possess 80+ years of nutraceutical industry experience. Our staff will work with you every step of the way – from initial contact to the delivery of your finished product – to ensure your project is completed on time and within budget. In addition to best-in-class supplement manufacturing, NutraScience Labs offers award-winning packaging and labeling, and fulfillment services designed to save you time, money, and stress so you can bring your products to the market fast. For questions and more information about our services, call us at 855-492-7388 or send us your request to receive a free nutraceutical manufacturing quote.