Men's Prostate and Testosterone Health
Men's Focus: Prostate and Testosterone Health
Men Matter. That's what more and more owners of supplement businesses are recognizing as they begin to strategize their manufacturing and marketing plans for the upcoming year. Recent industry data suggests that neglecting this market would be a huge mistake. Nowhere is this more evident than in the sales reports and analysis of supplement trends offered by market research firms like SPINS and the Business Nutrition Journal:
- According to Nutrition Business Journal, the natural alternative market for promoting sexual health will grow to an estimated worth of $905 million by 2020, given the increasing awareness that pharmaceuticals may have undesired side effects.
- According to a 2009 report from the Harleysville, PA-based Natural Marketing Institute (NMI) titled "Back in the High Life Again: Soaring Opportunities to Market to Baby Boomer Men", approximately 6,000 men turn 50 every day and 1 turns 60 every 15 seconds.2
- By the year 2015, 45 percent of the population in the United States will be 50 and over! Every 7 seconds an American turns 50. Experts say baby boomers have more money at their disposal than any other generation and outspend other generations by $400 billion on consumer goods and services. According to the NMI report, much of this market is underserved, representing a huge market potential for supplement business owners.3
Men are changing. According to a 2008 article featured in Nutraceuticals World, men are becoming more aware of their own health issues and the role dietary supplements can play. Specifically, they're interested in purchasing products that promote energy and libido.4
How can your supplement business cash in on this increasing popular trend? Below is some information to consider as you start to plan out your prostate and testosterone health supplement line:
Testosterone Maketh a Man
Testosterone is not just any hormone. It's THE hormone that makes a man a man. It is responsible for the development of facial and body hair, deep voice, muscle building, proper distribution of fat, and sperm production. But not only does it affect sexual health, particularly fertility and libido, it positively influences both heart function and mood levels and promotes bone health. Key indicators of low testosterone levels include weakness, fatigue, lack of energy, lack of motivation and/or self-confidence, decreased cognitive abilities, irritability, mood, and joint problems. 5
While synthetic testosterone is used as an anabolic steroid by men who want to increase muscle, testosterone supplements, on the other hand, are designed for men that are in their mid-thirties and early forties - the most common age range when men start to exhibit lower levels of testosterone.
Popular nutraceuticals for supporting healthy testosterone levels are:
- Zinc and Magnesium - used for muscle strength and function.6
- Vitamin B6 - helps in the absorption of zinc and magnesium.
- Tribulus Terrestris - preliminary research shows tribulusterrestris found it to increase testosterone levels in the blood. 7
- D-Aspartic Acid shows promising potential for testosterone support, according to preliminary research. 8
- Maca root has a reputation of over 500 years of traditional use in Peru as an herbal ingredient that supports strength, libido, and sexual function.
- Testofen, a standardized extract of fenugreek seeds has shown clinical benefits for supporting healthy testosterone levels. 9
- L-Arginine has also been used for testosterone support, but not many research studies are available.
A Man and His Prostate
Prostate health is the number one health concern for men and an increasing number of them are seeking supplements.
Two of the best ingredients for supporting prostate health are saw palmetto and beta-Sitosterol. Studies show both act to inhibit the conversion of testosterone to the more powerful hormone, Dihydrotestosterone (DTH) by inhibiting the enzyme 5 alpha reductase. DTH is believed to be responsible for the growth of prostate cells. Saw palmetto and beta sitosterol may help support prostate health, according to some studies. 10-11
Lycopene, derived from tomatoes, also shows ability to inhibit 5 alpha reductase. Its antioxidant properties are also believed to help support prostate health. 12
Manufacturing Men's Prostate and Testosterone Supplements with NutraScience Labs
Manufacturing your own line of male health supplements is easy when you partner with a trusted company like NutraScience Labs. Our knowledgeable team of Production Specialists will guide you through the entire supplement contract manufacturing process, ensuring that the finished product you receive from us meets your exact specifications. We also can provide you with label and packaging design and order fulfillment services - solutions designed to save you time, money and stress so you can focus on what matters most - growing your business!
For more information on how to get started, call (855) 492-7388 to speak with a Production Specialist or submit your request to receive a free nutraceutical manufacturing quote in 48 hours or less!
About the Author: Andrew Goldman
Andrew Goldman is the Vice President of Marketing for NutraScience Labs. In this role, he leverages his 10+ years of experience to develop cutting-edge initiatives for our firm.