Packaging and Labeling Trends For 2010
Good packaging is essential to attract the attention of consumers. By creating a packaging design and label that differentiates your product from all the others on the shelf, your product will stand out in the crowd from your competition. The main objective of good packaging has always been to protect the contents while building brand image at a cost effective price. In order to promote shelf appeal, manufacturers in the past have unnecessarily over-packaged their products at excessive costs.
Today, the "going green" phenomenon has introduced a new aspect to packaging and labeling trends - conserving the earth's resources by simplifying packaging. Bio-friendly methods of energy production or introducing energy-saving cuts are some of the ways manufacturers today are incorporating the "green" principle into their business practices.
Packaging trends in 2010 will head toward smarter, more eco-friendly packaging. Not only will this help to reduce waste and conserve resources, but this may also help to lower overall packaging and labeling costs. Packaging trends and labeling trends in 2010 will challenge supplement manufacturers to balance attractive and functional designs with sustainable packaging options.
Here are a few nutraceutical packaging trends we can expect in 2010:
Downsized Packaging - Less excessiveness and possibly less extravagance are some of the supplement packaging trends you are likely to see in 2010. Consumers are getting smarter. Supplement labeling trends are all about smart labeling - getting the right information out on your labels. The fact that you've used less packaging and are still able to make a statement about your product may help tip sales in your favor!
Eco-friendly Solutions - The National Marketing Institute survey in 2009 revealed that the number of consumers switching to products that provided environment-friendly packaging was up 20 percent from the previous year. This shows that consumers want to do their part to help preserve the world for future generations. The "feel-good" factor in purchasing a product that has been manufactured using sustainable packaging methods is high. Companies who are moving towards sustainability are "in". Packaging trends for eco-friendly packaging are no longer becoming an option! It's no longer IF your packaging becomes sustainable, but rather, WHEN. Eco-friendly packaging makes more sense and attracts more consumer appeal, especially for herbal dietary supplements since the contents include herbal and/or natural ingredients.
Convenience - Though this is not a new packaging trend, it is sure to continue as a popular factor in 2010. Consumers are always looking for easier delivery forms and convenient packaging options. For instance, many multi-vitamin tablets are packaged in monthly blister packaging that indicates the day of the month so consumers don't have to worry about taking their medication twice or wondering whether they've taken it at all. In the midst of a busy schedule, these types of convenient packaging options help consumers. Packaging trends are definitely moving towards individual pouches that are portable and travel-friendly. As global travel increases, many consumers are looking for single dose pouches that they can take on a business trip or on a family vacation.
Nutraceutical Labeling Trends
Supplement labeling trends will begin including more relevant information on labels and promotional literature. Consumers are more aware of research on various herbal and natural nutrients and are able to make a more informed decision when making a vitamin or supplement purchase. In addition, any information that can convince consumers they are purchasing a quality product will hold greater attraction at the point of sale. Vitamin labeling trends include more information on the source of ingredients. The source has become an important factor in the decision-making process especially in light of recent recalls. Supplement label trends also include more claims that indicate the product is "Organic-certified" or "Kosher-certified" or labels that include third party validations. These hold a higher preference for consumers as they are perceived to have greater quality and therefore, greater efficacy.
Popular Packaging Options For 2010
Packaging trends are moving toward "rightsizing" and "lightweighting" techniques, though traditional packaging like vitamin jars and vitamin bottles will still hold their rightful place in the market. Popular packaging trends for 2010 will include:
- Pouch Packaging provides an airtight environment for its contents that can be loosely held such as tablets, powders or capsules. These can be transparent and available as standup, easy-open, or re-sealable plastic pouch packaging.
- Vitamin packaging trends are likely to remain the same. Vitamin jars are used to store vitamins since the opacity of the bottle helps to retain potency and stability of vitamins. The tensile strength of the bottle helps to protect the contents during transport. These are available in 30, 60, 90 or 120 tablet/capsules count jars. Vitamin bottles are ideal for any type of liquid nutraceutical including liquid vitamins.
- HDPE Bottles and Jars offer versatility for your packaging requirements. They come in all sizes, shapes, and colors, and can be customized for your product.
- The single dose packaging is both convenient and travel-friendly. It also ensures that correct serving is administered.
- Multi-serving packaging offers convenience when taking more than one nutraceutical serving.
- Blister packaging is transparent and offers strong protection for its contents. It is a convenient form of administering capsules or tablets.
- Capsule strip packaging puts capsules or tablets into a convenient-sized strip for easier packing and storage.
- Folding cartons form the outside packaging to your contents. These cartons must contain label information and should be attractively designed to have high shelf-appeal. They can come in pre-fixed sizes or you can design your own innovative folding carton to suit your product. Size and shape help to create a more unique appeal.
- Display boxes are often used to attract greater appeal on shelves. A special display box holds your product. You can also use this to hold any promotional literature you may have on your product.
Dietary supplement manufacturers who are still finding it a challenge to find the right balance between just-enough packaging and protection for their contents, while still making a great on-shelf impression, can certainly find help to strike that right balance with NutraScience Labs.
Call one of our representatives today at (855) 492-7388 to find out how our in-house nutraceutical packaging and labeling services can help protect your product and make it stand out from the rest of the crowd. You may also submit a free quote request through our website. Typical quote turnaround time is 48 hours.