Post-Workout Nutrition for Fitness Enthusiasts
Post-Workout Nutrition for Fitness Enthusiasts
A survey conducted by Abbott, a leading healthcare company based in Illinois, found that many fitness enthusiasts are not aware that exercise and nutrition go hand-in-hand. Many false notions about what to eat and what not to eat after workouts are causing a good number of fitness enthusiasts to miss out on the benefits of this healthy partnership.
Fears and Misconceptions about Post-Workout Nutrition
The survey, conducted by Abbott and Market Probe International in 2012, polled 1,000 fitness enthusiasts who indicated they exercised three or more times per week.
Below are some of the findings 1:
- 53 percent believed that eating protein post workout would build undesired muscle.
- 50 percent believed that eating carbohydrates after a workout would not yield optimal results.
- 72 percent are aware that nutrition after a workout restores energy, but are not aware that post-workout nutrition helps build muscle mass and helps to minimize muscle break down.
The study also surveyed what these fitness enthusiasts were looking for after a workout. Here are their findings:
- 98 percent said they wanted to feel better after a workout.
- 52 percent said they wanted to reduce muscle soreness and fatigue.
- 42 percent said they wanted to increase energy levels.
Most, however, were not aware of the important relationship between workouts and post-workout nutrition. For instance, many of the participants believed that eating carbohydrates after a workout would simply add to their caloric intake. They did not know that carbs after a workout helped to refuel the body. While many knew that protein served as important building blocks of the body, they were ignorant of the specific benefits of protein for post-workout recovery.
Why Post-Workout Nutrition is Essential
Intensive workouts deplete the body's storage of both glycogen and amino acids. However, strategic nutrition can help restore these nutrients. There is a growing body of research supporting nutritional intervention after exercise for enhancing recovery and building muscle. Over the past two decades a number of research studies show a combination of certain nutrients before, during and after an exercise routine may help to maximize performance, particularly for resistance training and endurance. 2
Vital Nutrients Proven to Maximize Workouts
Supplement business owners can provide their customers with nutrition-packed formulas that can help them make the most of their exercise routine. Here are a few popular ingredients you may want to include in your post workout nutrition supplements:
- Protein and carbohydrates - Ingesting carbs 30 minutes after a workout is an important source of nutrition for muscle glycogen synthesis. In combination with carbohydrates, protein and amino acids help to increase the rate of muscle glycogen synthesis. Studies show that a small amount of protein and a smaller amount of carbs is beneficial for building muscle mass.
Protein taken 3 hours after exercise may help to significantly increase the synthesis of muscle. Protein taken 5 or 6 times a day may help to maximize muscle protein synthesis rates throughout the day and may improve body fat percentage. 3
- Creatine is popularly used to increase performance. A combination of creatine, protein and carbohydrates has been seen to facilitate greater improvements in strength and body composition when compared to not ingesting creatine. 4
- Including small amounts of fat may help control glycemic responses during exercise.
Partner with NutraScience Labs As Your Sports Nutrition Manufacturer
Nutrient timing before, during and after a workout is important and extremely popular today. An intensive exercise routine depletes energy stores and the delivery of timely nutrients to the body can help to compensate the loss, enhance performance and facilitate the achievement of exercise goals.
Start meeting the nutritional needs of your customers and choose NutraScience Labs as your nutritional supplement manufacturers. We have a world-class reputation for manufacturing high-quality sports nutrition formulas in popular mediums like capsules, powders and tablets and delivering best-in-class client services. We also provide in-house label and packaging design and order fulfillment services for your convenience.
For more information about our sports nutrition manufacturing services, call (855) 492-7388 to speak with one of our knowledgeable Production Specialists or submit your request to receive a free nutraceutical manufacturing quote from us in 48 hours.
About the Author: Andrew Goldman
Andrew Goldman is the Vice President of Marketing for NutraScience Labs. In this role, he leverages his 10+ years of experience to develop cutting-edge initiatives for our firm.