Can Probiotics Support Healthy Weight Management?
Over a 100 trillion microscopic bacteria are happily livings in your digestive system. While the concept may seem a little discomforting, the encouraging news is that two decades of research show these little critters may play a more active role in our health and well-being than we could ever have imagined.
We already know the benefits of probiotics range from immune health, better digestion and absorption of nutrients. But did you know that the imbalance of good and bad bacteria in the gut may actually contribute to weight gain or make it difficult to lose excess weight? Studies suggest a healthy intestinal microflora, particularly the colonization of a specific strain of bacteria called lactobacillus gasseri, may play a useful role in shedding fat - reduced as much as 8 percent in the abdominal area!
Probiotics and Fat Loss - a Japanese study
The 12-week study led by Japanese researchers built on a previous study that was published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition which showed that 100 million colony forming units (cfus) administered over a 12-week period, reduced abdominal fat by 4.6 percent and subcutaneous fat by 3.3 percent. 87 adults who had a high body mass index (BMI) participated in the double-blind, randomized trial. Each participant was administered either a placebo or the probiotics, Lactobacillus gasseri, provided as a culture in yogurt. 1
In the Japanese study, 210 adult participants who had large adiposity were divided into 3 groups and randomly assigned one of the following three: 2
- A fermented milk product containing lactobacillus gasseri dose of 10 million cfus
- A fermented milk product containing lactobacillus gasseri dose of 1 million cfus
- A fermented milk product without lactobacillus gasseri
After 12 weeks, abdominal fat decreased by 8.5 percent in the first group and 8.2 percent in the second group. Body mass index (BMI), waist and hip circumferences, as well as body fat mass were significantly reduced in the first two groups from the baseline.
In 2006, scientists first discovered that the microbiota in the gut between overweight and lean people is different. Studies showed that when overweight people lost weight their microflora reverted back to those observed in lean people. This suggested that intestinal microflora environment may play a role in weight management, spurring scientists to further investigate the microbiota and fat relationship. 3
Further studies published in the British Journal of Nutrition (2009) showed that a specific strain, lactobacillus gasseri, may be able to reduce fat levels and fat cells in animals. 4
Why Gut Health Is Important
Microflora in the intestine plays a metabolic role in the body. A healthy microflora is important for: 5
- biochemical activities in the body
- the salvaging of energy for the body's activities
- the production of absorbable compounds, vitamins and other essential nutrients.
- the gut microflora also plays a role in regulating immunity, both innate and acquired. A healthy microflora will protect the body.
- from the time of birth and throughout life, dynamic interactions between gut microbiota and the host is continually maintained making this relationship an important environmental factor that co-evolves with the host.
- some studies have shown that imbalances in gut microflora may leave the host susceptible to health concerns related to immunity. These studies show strong scientific support for the use of probiotics and prebiotics in dietary supplement strategies.
Probiotics - a Tiny Solution to a Big Problem
For years, the medical community has been figuring out ways to reduce the rate of weight gain, which is becoming a worldwide epidemic. Probiotics, which have received a Generally Regarded As Safe status (GRAS), might be a step in the right direction. In addition to supporting the weight loss needs of your customers, studies strongly suggest the probiotic strain, lactobacillus gasseri, may significantly reduce abdominal adiposity, body weight and other measures.
US Probiotic Market Growth
Another important fact to keep in mind when considering a probiotic-featuring formulation is the overall consumer interest and demand in probiotics - which has grown (and continues to grow) consistently since Google began recording data in 2004.
Request Your Free Probiotic Supplement Manufacturing Quote Today
Weight is a worldwide issue that cannot be ignored by supplement brand owners. NOW is the time to partner with a reputable, world-class supplement manufacturing company, like NutraScience Labs, that can provide you a high-quality formulation that you'll be proud to put your name on.
In addition to best-in-class manufacturing services, we offer a variety of in-house services, including label and packaging design and order fulfillment. Providing all of these services under one roof is proven to reduce product turnaround time, which allows you to go to market faster with your products than your competitors!
For more information about our services, call (855) 492-7388 to speak with one of our knowledgeable and friendly Production Specialists or you may submit your request to receive a free, no obligation nutraceutical manufacturing quote in 48 hours.
4. http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract fromPage=online&aid=4454760&fileId=S0007114508043808