The numbers are in and it looks like Sports Nutrition is going to continue to hold its title as one of the fastest growing supplement categories. Let’s take a closer look at TechNavio’s June 2016 survey series to see where the numbers – and the opportunities – sit…
By the Numbers: Sports Nutrition & Dietary Supplements
While there are arguably hundreds of different factors worth considering when it comes to evaluating the state of any segment of the nutrition/dietary supplement market, analysts at TechNavio have reported some compelling numbers concerning the state of the sports nutrition market.
Who’s buying sports nutrition supplements?
In terms of region, North America dominated the market in 2015. Accounting for more than 41% of the total market share, the numbers support the suggestion that the North American and American sports nutrition market is booming.
So far as who as in “which type of consumer” is buying the most, the data that was found supports what many of us within the industry have known to be true for years: Males, typically between the ages of 18 and 35, are one of the driving forces behind the growing. sports nutrition market (although, this isn’t to say that they’re aren’t other consumer-types at play when it comes to the North American/American/Global sports nutrition market.
The increased regional interest (and subsequent marketshare domination) has been attributed to, among other things, the increased awareness of the health benefits that have been associated with proper supplementation and a healthy, active lifestyle.
More Interesting Sports Nutrition Statistics & Facts
Here are just a few of the more interesting statistics and facts from the TechNavio Team’s findings:
- The global sports nutrition market is expected to grow by a CAGR of more than 8% by 2020.
- Demand for proteins (be they powders, bars, or in whole foods) is increasing.
- Globally, there’s a growing interest and demand for Soy-based protein (despite the stigma it’s earned in the US).
- Demand for both animal and plant-based proteins is on the rise (though animal-based proteins continue to hold the majority of the marketshare at this moment in time).
- The two key product segments within the sports nutrition world are “Sports Nutrition Supplements” and “Sports Nutrition Foods and Beverages.”
The Key Takeaways
The multi-billion dollar sports nutrition market is expected to keep on growing – both steadily and impressively, at least through 2020. As the market continues to grow and develop, it looks like proteins will continue to act as the star players of the sports nutrition world.