Weight Management Supplements: The “Cold Truth” Why New Year’s Resolutions Fail
According to a study published earlier this year by The Nielsen Company, the top two New Year’s resolutions people make are related to staying fit and healthy, and losing weight.
The irony is that January 1st is smack dab in the middle of winter, when physical activity actually declines. In fact, one study found the total amount of calories burned from leisure-time physical activity (i.e. exercise) was much lower during the winter and fall, compared to spring and summer:
How Can You Help Your Customers Break This Trend?
Other than trying to convince Old Man Winter to start a season-long heat wave, you can help your customers achieve their New Year’s resolutions by providing them with the right and certainly the best weight loss supplement ingredients backed by research, including the six I’ve highlighted below.
Weight Loss Supplement Ingredients
- Green tea phytosome benefits: Two large studies showed that supplementation with 300 mg of green tea phytosome daily (a well-absorbed form of green tea extract) resulted in about 2-3 times more weight loss (26-30 lbs. total) compared to diet alone.
- L-carnitine: Two studies about how L-carnitine helps you lose weight found that supplementation with the amino acid L-carnitine resulted in up to 11.24 lbs. of weight loss compared to 1.14 lbs. from diet alone, making it a great weight loss supplement ingredient.
- Caffeine: Caffeine, a well-known metabolism booster, and an effective weight loss supplement ingredient. Short-term studies have shown that caffeine can boost metabolism by 3-11%, and increase fat burning by up to 29%.
- Garcinia Cambogia Extract: It is a small, green fruit, shaped like a pumpkin, the skin of which contains hydroxycitric acid (HCA), an active ingredient in garcinia cambogia extract. Considered as a good weight loss supplement ingredient, it works by inhibit a fat-producing enzyme in the body and increase levels of serotonin, thereby helping to reduce cravings.
- Green Coffee Bean Extract: Unroasted coffee beans contain two substances believed to help with weight loss - caffeine and chlorogenic acid. Caffeine can increase fat burning, and chlorogenic acid can slow the breakdown of carbohydrates in the gut.
- Glucomannan: A type of fiber, Glucomannan is found in the roots of the elephant yam, also called konjac. Glucomannan absorbs water and becomes gel-like promoting a feeling of fullness, helping you eat fewer calories.
Timing is everything though, so you’d probably want to contact your manufacturer now to ensure your weight management dietary supplement is ready for purchase once “resolution season” kicks into high gear.
Do you know someone who could benefit from this information? Feel free to share this post or add your own ingredient suggestions in the comments section!
- Seasonal Variation in Adult Leisure-Time Physical Activity. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 2003;35(6):1004–1008.
- Phytosome as an adjunct to a low-calorie diet for treatment of obesity: a clinical trial. Altern Med Rev. 2009 Jun;14(2):154-60.
- Phytosome for Borderline Metabolic Syndrome. Evid. Based Complement. Alternat. Med. 2013; Article ID 869061: 7 pages.
- L-Carnitine’s effect on comprehensive weight loss program in obese adolescents. Acta Nutr Sin 1997; 19(2):146-150.
- Carnitine as supporting agent in weight loss in adiposity. Aerztezeitschrift für Naturheilverfahren 1998; 39(1):12-15.