Winter 2013 Supplement Manufacturing Trends
With chilly weather ahead of us and a cold economy still hovering over us, more consumers are warming up to the concept of taking nutritional supplements to maintain health. 1
With this in mind, it's time for supplement business owners to warm up their product lines to meet the winter health needs of an eager consumer audience. Optimizing health by meeting nutritional gaps is the key concept and people are increasingly helping themselves to well-formulated supplements that meet their specific health needs.
We've done the work for you and compiled research from various leading industry sources. Based on this information, the following appear to be the Winter 2013 Supplement Manufacturing Trends!:
Top Priority - Immune Health
It's important to keep the immune system optimized. Children are more vulnerable than adults, so we recommend including pediatric supplements in your product line, as well. Here are a few ingredients known to support immune health:
- Vitamin C and zinc are said to play a complementary role in supporting immune functions. These supplements are generally sold as tablets. 2
- Echinacea is an herb native to North America and has been traditionally used to support a healthy immune system. It is typically manufactured into tablets. 3
- Elderberry is traditionally used to support respiratory health. There are a few studies that show black elderberry may have immunoprotective effects. 4
- The sunshine vitamin, Vitamin D, has been associated with supporting immune health. 5 Lack of direct sunlight during the winter months can lead to vitamin D deficiency. So can the constant use of sunscreen lotions. The elderly who don't get out much and those who are obese are more susceptible vitamin D deficiency.
- A number of probiotics are marketed for children in response to growing evidence from research that demonstrates their benefits for immune health. According to The 2009 Nutrition Business Journal Healthy Kids Report, within the United States' $1 billion children's supplement industry, probiotics is one of the most popular offerings, behind multi-vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids. 6
According to a 2012 Consumer Lab survey, women are more likely than men, to take B vitamins, calcium and vitamin D, probiotics and iron. 7 Consider including these ingredients in your formulations for women:
- Vitamin B12 for formation of red blood cells. 8 A combination of folate, vitamin B12 or vitamin B6 supplementation can help support cognitive function in women. 9
- Vitamins A, C and E for healthy skin. 10
- It is especially important for women to get adequate intake of Vitamin D and calcium as menopause puts women at a higher risk for bone and joint concerns. 11
- Omega-3 fatty acids for supporting heart health, skin and hair health. It also is believed to support memory and brain health, support healthy mood and play a positive role in supporting against menstrual syndrome and postmenopausal hot flashes. 12-14
- Fiber not only promotes regularity, but may aid in supporting healthy cholesterol levels already within the normal range, healthy blood sugar and weight maintenance. In combination with probiotics, fiber promotes a healthy intestinal microflora. Most people get only 15 grams of fiber a day, but the recommended intake is 25 to 35 grams a day. 15
- Antioxidants help maintain cellular health which in turn supports healthy aging. 16-18
Women, more than men, are prone to feeling low during this season. The sunshine vitamin has also been linked to a sunshine disposition, so encourage your customers to get an adequate intake of vitamin D. 19 Omega-3 fatty acids are also known to support against anxiety and stress. 20
According to the same Consumer Lab survey cited above, men are more likely than women to choose a supplemental intake that would boost energy, support health aging, or support cardiovascular health. Ingredients include:
- Co-enzyme Q10 may help boost energy levels, particularly in winter as energy levels drop. CoQ10, combined with alpha-lipoic acid, may improve energy homeostasis, stress response, and antioxidant defense mechanisms. 21
- Plant sterols such as beta sitoserol are known to promote prostate health. 22 They also help to msupport cardiovascular health. 23
- Resveratrol is said to have cardio-protective benefits. A recent study shows that it has potential for supporting healthy blood sugar. 23-25 Studies show that red yeast rice also shows cardiovascular health effects. 26
- Sports nutrition drinks and powders such as muscle enhancers, energy boosters, pre- and post- workout supplements. Popular ingredients include amino acids and vitamin K. 27-28
Vitamin D and calcium can help prevent fractures among the elderly. Other popular ingredients may include CoQ10, omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, resveratrol, and vitamin K.
Weight Loss Products
Weight loss and fitness products are popular the whole year but the best time for many is just after the festive season in December. This is the time when people feel bloated, lethargic and ready for weight loss. We suggest manufacturing weight loss supplements to help people maintain a healthy weight.
Take the first step in manufacturing supplement products that your customers will be searching for during the winter months!
We encourage you to take a look at our wide array of supplement options and manufacturing solutions that make it easy for you to manufacture high-quality products that stand out in the marketplace. In addition to manufacturing supplements within GMP-certified facilities, we offer in-house services such as label and packaging solutions, storage facilities and order fulfillment.
Call (855) 492-7388 to speak with one of our Production Specialists or submit your request to receive a free nutraceutical manufacturing quote in 48 hours or less!
1. June 25, 2012, Natural Foods Merchandiser.