Winter 2014 Supplement Manufacturing Trends
The best word we can think of to describe the growth of the supplement industry is simply: phenomenal! The Nutrition Business Journal reported a compound annual growth rate of 5.2 percent over the decade 2003 to 2012 for the supplement industry, the recession notwithstanding. 1
So as temperatures across the country begin to drop, expect your customers to warm up to what we think will be the hottest Winter 2014 supplement manufacturing trends:
According to a 2012 sales analysis from SPINS, a market research company based in Schaumburg, Ill., natural vitamins and supplements attracted the most sales in the natural products category. 2 Within this segment, here's a list of product categories with the percentage of sales each attracted:
- vitamins attracted the most sales with 33 percent
- specialty products attracted 19 percent
- herbs and botanicals attracted 17 percent
- sports nutrition attracted 13 percent
- meal replacement attracted 11 percent
- minerals attracted 7 percent
The top 3 categories showing the highest growth rate were meal replacements, sports nutrition and specialty products. 3
While the above will help you strategize your product line this winter on a broader level, below we've focused on a few products you should consider adding to your line:
Supporting Immune Health
The results of a recent study conducted by the Council for Responsible Nutrition reported that immune health was one of the top three reasons people had for taking supplements; the other two being to feel better and to improve overall energy. 4 Here are a few immune system-supporting ingredients:
Vitamin and Minerals:
Vitamin supplements are in high demand throughout the year but in the winter, your customers will want more of Vitamins C and D. Here's why:
- Vitamin C, along with zinc, works to improve immune system function. 5
- Vitamin C plus zinc may prove to be an inexpensive first line of defense. 6
- Vitamin D goes beyond supporting bone and joint health by serving as an essential immune system regulator. Consumers, too, are aware of widespread vitamin d deficiencies and insufficiencies. Recent studies have also shown an association between Vitamin D insufficiency and reduced respiratory health. 7
- Our internal Vitamin D levels often take a dive in winter which is another reason why consumers will be looking out for Vitamin D products.
Herbs and Botanicals
Aside from these two vitamins, consumers will be looking out for immune-supporting ingredients such as Echinacea, Glycyrrhizin (component of licorice root) extract of cat's claw, garlic and St. John's Wort. 8
Don't forget to focus on immune-supporting products for the entire family. According to SPINS, mood support herbs and homeopathic ingredients for children were the fastest growing in 2012. 9
Condition-Specific Supplements for the Winter
Joint Health - Cold or damp weather can affect joint comfort, particularly in the elderly. Baby boomers and fitness enthusiasts are the most targeted age group in this specific health arena. Here are a few natural or botanical ingredients that exhibit benefits for joint health: 10
- Omega 3 fatty acids are natural and effective joint support / joint health agents.
- White willow tree bark has been used for centuries. Studies show that this herbal ingredient can help support joint comfort.
- Curcumin derived from the ginger family also dates back to ancient times. It is used to promote joint health and in supporting digestive health.
- Green tea's antioxidants have been noted for their benefits on cardiovascular health but more recently green tea has been recognized for supporting joint comfort.
- Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate and MSM help maintain joint health by improving joint comfort and function. 11
Heart and Respiratory Health - According to Dr. A. Kloner of The Good Samaritan Hospital, the winter holiday season is associated with an increase in cardiovascular health concerns. Respiratory issues also increase with more people burning wood in fireplaces, a popular activity during this time of the year. 12
Holiday Stress - There's obviously more stress this time of year with the prospect of having to interact with relatives and family reunions. The buying of gifts can also cause financial pressure, leading to stress. And then there are others who feel the emotional stress of having to go through this holiday season alone. Passionflower, magnesium, combinations of L-lysine and L-arginine are effective nutraceuticals for stress and anxiety. 13-14
Other Winter Supplement Manufacturing Trends Worth Mentioning
Go Natural this Winter - The Nutrition Business Journal predicted a growth for the whole-food supplement market of 12 percent in 2012 - nearly double the rate of growth of the entire supplement industry. SPINS affirmed this trend with their report showing sale of natural products increasing by 13.3 percent totaling 36 billion by the end of 2012.
Third-Party Certifications Attract Sales - SPINS also reports third-party certifications are enormously attractive to consumers, whether it is GMP-certified, Certified Organic, Gluten-Free Certified or other Third-Party seals of certification. 15
Weight Loss - We can't end our list of winter 2014 supplement manufacturing trends article without saying a few words about weight loss. Weight loss trends never really go out of season but after Christmas and New Year's there are more people looking for weight loss aids to shed off the extra pounds gained during the holiday season. According to SPINS, 7-Keto looks to be the emerging nutraceutical for supporting weight loss. Not only does it have the endorsement of Dr. Oz but it's also supported by some credible scientific research. Milk protein powders, raspberry ketones, green coffee extract and saffron are other nutraceuticals you'll want to consider. All of them are a step in the right direction towards aiding your customers' weight loss management programs. 16
Take the First Step To Manufacture Your Line of Winter Supplements with NutraScience Labs!
Supplement business owners rely on NutraScience Labs to supply/provide high-quality supplements that meet the nutritional needs of their customers - and now we want to do the same for you and your business!
Take advantage of our world-class turnkey manufacturing services and expand your product line in time for the winter season. Call (855) 492-7388 to speak with one of our knowledgeable Production Specialists or submit your request to receive a free nutraceutical manufacturing quote in 48 hours or less.
3. Partnership Capital Growth (PCG) Nutritional Supplement Industry Newsletter 2013 by Partnership Capital Growth on Jun 03, 2013
9. Partnership Capital Growth (PCG) Nutritional Supplement Industry Newsletter 2Q13. http://www.slideshare.net/PartnershipCapitalGrowth/pcg-vmhs-newsletter-2q13 Pg 17)
16. Partnership Capital Growth (PCG) Nutritional Supplement Industry Newsletter 2013.